For this month’s geeky recipe, I decided to make a dish based on Disney’s Scrooge McDuck!
I have previously expressed my love for the Scottish trillionair duck’s comic books here, but what is even better than reading about Donald Duck’s uncle, is eating him!
For when the people have nothing more to eat, they will eat the rich.
And this is the richest tasting duck in the world!
For two portions:
1. Preheat the oven to 150°C/300°F.
2. Cut a large carrot up in sticks, then dice a few cloves of garlic.
3. Cut small squares in the skin of approximately 400 gram of duck breast, while trying to avoid cutting in the meat.
4. Put salt and pepper on both sides of the duck breast, then fry the skin side in a bit of butter for three minutes, along with the garlic cloves.
5. Place a cooking thermometer in the middle of the breast.
6. Place the breast and the carrot sticks in the oven for about 25 minutes, until the thermometer shows 60°C/140°F.
7. Let the duck rest for ten minutes before you cut it into slices. The temperature should start to close in on 68°C/155°F before you cut it.
1. While waiting for the meat to finish, fry up two handfuls of kale. Once the kale has shrunken, add a handful of cashew nuts.
2. During the last ten minutes, while the meat is resting, bake two tomato halves and a few golden physalis berries in the oven at 150°C/300°F.
The Scotch Sauce
1. Add two deciliters of ox stock and a tablespoon of Scotch whiskey to the pan that was used for frying the duck. Bring it to a boil.
2. Stir in a tablespoon of flour, to let the sauce thicken.
3. Taste with salt, pepper and more Scotch.
And there you have it!
A perfect meal for a summer evening!